So i recently got Leatherworker 50, and wanted to share my way of leveling (leve-ing), and hopefully provide everyone with a quick analysis of which leve costs the least at each level checkpoint. But i got busy and before i know it, i got Alchemy to 50 too ._.
However, this post will still be about Leatherwork, which is an important craft for most (to craft caster/crafter hands, gloves and stuff, and also for the really useful Waste Not skills if you ever do venture further into crafting).
Before we go further into the details, there are some things you need to take note of before you follow. Make sure:
1) You have plenty of leve points, like… 99.
2) You have some spare gil (maybe 100k+?) sitting around, and you can afford to spend on crafting.
3) You are not full hardcore about the leveling speed. If you are, then i suggest you go to party finder and start recruiting a crafting power-leveler.
Things to Do at Each Level Checkpoint
1) Go to the Marketboard. Search for each of the leve products required and look at the pricing. If they are priced cheaper than the mats (remember to count in shard pricing!!), buy them. More importantly, if the HQ ones are priced acceptably, you might want to buy those and save time and leve points. This is especially true for the transportation leves, since they give much more xp than local leves, and doubling that xp is simply amazing.
2) Analyze each of the leves before choosing to buy/farm/craft. Different factors can affect how efficient a leve will be for leveling. For example, although a product for a leve can be cheaper than others, but it being a transportation leve to and fro Gridania and Observatorium will immediately deter me from choosing it.
If many leves are acceptable for your level, determine the sequence you will hand them in. For example, first pick up local and transportation Gridania leve, hand it in, teleport to transportation destination, pick up local leve at destination, then hand them all in together.
Last but not least, OPEN YOUR EYES WIDE and look at the required amount of each leve product! Some are 1, some 3 and even 5, and these results in very huge cost differences. As a result, i do not recommend doing the leves that require turning in 3 x 5 Leathers. They simply cost so much more than the other local leves, and xp gained isn’t much better.
1-15: You will notice that for most leve reference sites, they only start listing leves from lvl 15 onwards. That’s because before that, leveling is too easy and quick. Simply make the stuff in your crafting log (i would suggest making mats) and most of the materials will be available at the guild supplier. You can even quick synth the mats if you want since breaking won’t cost you much at all at this point.
15-20: Choke Hold local leve in Gridania (1 Hard Leather Choker). Cheapest leve, although like all Grid local leves, the running to and fro can be quite tiring. You can mass synthesize Aldgoat leather too if you want. Making a stack of them will probably take you up more than 1 level.
20-25: Hands On, Quarrymill local leve (1 Fingerless Goatskin Gloves).
25-30: No Risk, No Reward, Quarrymill local leve (1 Toadskin Cesti). You can also mass craft Toadskin Leathers.
30-35: Slave to Fashion, Costa del Sol local leve (1 Boarskin Choker). You can also mass craft Boar Leathers.
35-40: Soft Shoe Shuffle, Gridania local leve (1 Peisteskin Crakows). You can also mass craft Peiste Leathers.
40-45: Foot Blues, Whitebrim Front local leve (1 Boarskin Moccasins). You can also mass craft Raptor Leathers, especially if you frequently Bray farm, and have loads of raptor skins.
45-50: Tenderfoot Moments, St. Coinach’s Find local leve (1 Hunting Moccasins) or Fuss in Boots, St. Coinach’s Find local leve as well (1 Raptorskin Thighboots). They differ very little in materials required and they are located in the same place. To save time, craft both, and you can hand in 2 leves at a time instead of 1.
And hurray, you have maxed out yet another craft! Below are few useful sites for crafting and leves, so check them out! ^^
1) Leatherworker Leve List – Lists all leves available, and lets you compare the mats required at a glance.
2) Database – This site allows you to check up on a mat and determine where you can obtain them. Many mats you need for crafting are indeed obtainable through NPC merchants at a much much cheaper price than what people price on the Marketboard. Hence, it is a good practice to regularly check them out before purchasing large quantities from the board.